Sunday, January 3, 2016

WHY DO PEOPLE MAKE NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS???

 I am making only one New Year's Resolution: That next year, I will make one New Year's Resolution. The Resolution is, that I will make only one resolution.
 
 I'm pretty sure I can do that.  It's not to make any resolutions.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
  I understand the idea of a clean slate. A new day, a new year, Monday, the first of the month. Take your pick. Whatever you think you should be changing, you make a date.
 
  Then, you stand yourself up.
 
 "Living in the NOW"  written by Eckert Tolle was mentioned in a previous post.
I believe that he is right. There is only the now.
 
That's probably what's so delicious about resolutions.
 
We don't have to start them NOW. And since only Now exists, we never really have to do them.
We give ourselves a time to begin anew.
 
I personally, I  don't make those kinds of lists. I sometimes make a shopping list but either I forget to bring it with me, or I forget to look at it. I've learned, from experience, not to bother.
 
  If I am overwhelmed with chores, I will make a list for two reasons. One, that I don't forget what I have to do, and two, it feels really good to cross something off the list.
 
  New Year's Resolutions, seem like the exact same thing as starting a diet on Monday. I then have however many days I want, to continue to eat whatever I want. Or maybe more since I KNOW I'm going on a diet on Monday.
 
  I'm not sure what other people's lists look like, but I'll pretend I do. Who's going to know?  And it takes less time than taking a poll which I'm not sure anyone would answer.
 
 A list might contain things like, quitting drinking and/or smoking, joining the gym, going to the gym I joined last year, not getting angry, calling my mother more, writing a budget, keeping to said budget, not buying any more shoes (that would be a woman thing), eating out less, cooking more , eating healthier  etc. etc. and so forth. Thank you, King of Siam.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
  If I were to make a list it might be a bit different.  I would: try to be nicer to people on the customer service phones,(except when I can't understand their accents)  not get pissy when things don't go my way, smile more at people I pass in stores, drive slower, actually, try to do everything slower.
 
  (*AD ) It could be my ADHD but I'm always hurrying to complete what it is I'm doing or get wherever it is I'm going. Even when there's no rush. I tell myself to slow done, but I don't. Usually. Occasionally I remind myself that all I'm doing is rushing to my grave, but even that doesn't slow me down for long. As I was checking this, I realized I was doing exactly that. I have to leave in 15 minutes, and wanted to post this before I left. I'm trying to write shorter posts. LOL
Then I realized that I can post this when I come home. Self -imposed arbitrary deadlines. I'm officially off the rails.
 
 
 
 
   There are probably people out there who do make those kinds of outward and good resolutions too.  Being cynical, I assume most are of the self-centered type.
 
 

 
    Why do we make resolutions? Because someone once thought it was a good idea since we're still doing it. Not because it works. We like the idea of it.
 
    Wouldn't it be great, if when the new year starts, I could be someone else? Or at least me, but a little improved. Or a lot.
 
   If it were something we could easily do, we wouldn't need to list it and then not do it.
 
  Really. Do you remember when you were a kid and you turned from 9 t0 10 and the day of your birthday, someone would ask if you felt older? Duh. I feel the same as I did yesterday.
 
 For me, so goes the new year. I feel the same as I did yesterday, even if you call it last year, it was yesterday, or last week.
 
  So, it's just another stall tactic for NOT living in the NOW. Being a better me. So, stop stalling. As Nike says, JUST DO IT !

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Just added this. It is exactly what I'm talking about.
 




1 comment:

  1. I think that it is now possible to post a comment. If you are so inclined. Please do. I'm feeling very lonely.

    ReplyDelete