Friday, January 8, 2016

WHAT THE HELL IS A BLOG, ANYWAY?


Dear Diary, I wish someone would accidentally read you and find out all my secrets and then tell me what they think.

Seriously. I just looked it up. It's a contraction of web log. At least I think so. My short term memory sucks. I'm sure I already mentioned that, but I can't remember for sure. ha ha.
I started to write this, meaning the entire blog, with really no idea of what a blog is or should be. After reading about it just now, I know about as much.


      The sentence that follows was the last sentence I wrote at the end of the post, but I put it here. Slightly out of context but so am I. I don't want you should miss this important fact.

So, why aren't you interacting? Maybe I should lead with this. Maybe you aren't reading the whole thing and missing the comment section.
If I were a man, this would be how I'd look, burning the midnight oil, writing this blog.
 
 

It can be like a diary or a journal. Or an advertisement where you're hoping to make money. Of other stuff. Very articulate. Id use the excuse that it's late, but I'm just feeling lazy.

In one of the comments I got on the momentous day when my blog was critiqued by someone with a zillion followers, I was admonished about my spelling.  But it got over 2000 hits and it was long and in my humble opinion, not my best.

About that.  The spelling.  When I was in grade school I did well on post tests. Do you remember them?  Monday you got the pre-test with the new words and Friday you got the test that counted. I had five days to memorize those suckers and I usually did.

Then, I went on to real life. No rehearsals when you're turning in papers. Actually, no spell check or computers. Typewriters with little piece of white, chalk like paper that you could sometimes correct an error with. I just ended with a preposition. I don't think the grammar police like that.

Not my grades. No way.
Anyhow,  writing papers was an ordeal. Especially when I realized I couldn't spell.  . I still can't. Mostly, it's the endings that could be any vowel invented. Like correspondence.  Wow. I got it right before spell check. I think it should be an "a" not an "e". I suppose it depends on where in the country you're from and what your accent sounds like.  I spell phonetically. I know now, that this is a handicap since things don't sound like they look.  Much like the people on the phone now that I'm thinking about it.  Oh yeah. And I didn't know you had to do research when you wrote a paper. I remember when I was in my second or third term, when my good friend Leah, took me by the hand and "introduced" me to the library. I was astounded. So many floors. So many books. And nice green leather couches in the ladies lounges. She had to show me how to use the card catalogs and where to look for the books. If I had known better, I would have been really embarrassed. Or impressed. I had gotten through High School and part of College making up papers out of my head. And I was a B student. Go figure. 

sunning yourself?

I also have trouble with words that could be "ible" or able". I actually do proof read my posts before I publish them. However, over the years I have learned that you read what you think you wrote, not what you actually wrote. I would usually find this out when going over a psych. report with a parent, three weeks after writing it. And after they had a copy. oops. Only after time had passed could I really read what was there.

As usual, I have kind of slid of the topic. Except, that since a blog can be anything you want it to be, I really can't go wrong. Can I?

One of the things that Wiki said made blogs a part of social media was it's ability to be interactive with the comments. I found this amuzing.  See I'm leaving that wrong. In college, I would go to the dictionary, check the spelling and not remember it by the time I got back to my paper. 

So, why aren't you interacting? Maybe I should lead with this. Maybe you aren't reading the whole thing and missing the comment section.  I left it in here too where it makes sense.

Feedback is important. If the people who do the counting aren't lying, thousands of people have at least looked at these posts. I know the comment section didn't work, but I'm sure it does now. So. What do you have to say for yourself?  Are you too busy blogging to comment?  Reading better blogs? Sleeping? Eating? Working?  Taking your psych meds?  What gives?


dribbling? drooling?

running away from your problems?

Me, reacting to your comments. I'll take selfies and show them. Deal?




1 comment: