Sunday, September 27, 2015

Why are women so into jewelry?

    I believe it's in our DNA. When homo erectus (that looks wrong and why did they use those words? I'll have to think on that for later) began, then males were the hunters and the women were the gatherers. This isn't theory. Men developed skills that would help them survive and passed them down if you believe in the survival of the fittest theory. I believe it.
   So, we women are gathering stuff. Herbs? Babies who wandered off? Flowers? What did we need that was shiny? Jewelry is very shiny. I can't pass by shiny things. Even when I have a house full of them and don't need another thing.
    Was it water reflecting the sun? Or maybe mica or a glassy type rock that the men could use for a weapon. I don't know. I don't remember that far back.
     What I do know, is that even though our brains have allegedly evolved and we no longer need to respond to the survival signals, they haven't died off.
       Maybe sometime later it became a sign of riches but I'm sure it didn't start out that way. I think when we see something shiny we stop because we expect to find water.
       Well, I suppose water has always been precious, so maybe it's not so different after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment