Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Do I look fat in these pants, or why does your friend/spouse as you questions.

    Mostly, I like to shop alone. I have learned over the years that if I shop with other people, I end up buying things I don't often wear. Read that as  wearing other peoples tastes.
    The experience of going with a friend is fun but the outcome, not always so good.
    Let's talk about taste. The kind you have in your likes and dislikes part of your brain. Or where ever it's stored. (In some people it seems to be in their asses.)
    However, that's exactly what I'm talking about. I have a certain type of taste and it's often very different from the people I know. Does that make mine bad and theirs good? No. It's a matter of taste.  Everyone is supposed to knows that, right?
     So, why when we go shopping, does my friend or spouse ask my opinion on an item they like?  Etiquette demands lying. Something I don't like to do.
     Years ago I had a friend who would ask back, "do you like it"?  That was code for she didn't like my haircut or my shoes or whatever else. I understood and we all saved face.
     I try that but it's not so successful. She must have had a better delivery or I have more demanding friends.
      After spending my youth not saying how I felt, but I've stopped that.  I will say some different things. Often with, you know our tastes are different so don't go by me. Or, if I think it's unflattering I say so. If I like something I say that too. The good news is, that most of my friends who are older, like me, don't usually listen anyway.  If they like it they get it, if they don't, they don't.
      So, why bother asking? Are they being polite? I think not. Maybe it stems from wanting a bond with the other person, and if they agree,  they feel closer.  Or maybe many people are insecure and really want someone else's opinion. Or confirmation that they're okay.

3 comments:

  1. I agree. I think no matter how old you get, acceptance is what we look for in every situation. It could be agreeing in a conversation, haircut, life change, or just how you like your eggs. Sometimes it stems from our insecurities or just feeling unsure or uncomfortable with our own opinions..Your so smart..love you xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I think no matter how old you get, acceptance is what we look for in every situation. It could be agreeing in a conversation, haircut, life change, or just how you like your eggs. Sometimes it stems from our insecurities or just feeling unsure or uncomfortable with our own opinions..Your so smart..love you xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you too. And very perceptive comment.

    ReplyDelete