Saturday, February 20, 2016

SHORT STORY

 
About two years or so after my divorce, I was sitting in the teacher's room at work. My friend Ellen and her fiancée had just split up.
They had planned to go to Europe over the summer and she was bummed that she wouldn't be going.
I asked if she'd like to go somewhere with me. We talked about it and decided on Greece.
I was about 36 years old and hadn't been to Europe and being newly single, was hoping of course, that I'd meet someone.
 
The tour we took spent a few days in Athens, then took us on a four day cruise of the islands, and then back for a few more days in Athens.  I still remember that trip so fondly because I loved Greece. The ruins, the countryside, the history.
 
It was beautiful there. And the cruise, my first, was  the best.
 
So, did we meet any single men?
 
Believe it or not we did. Get this. I lived in Bayside, Queens, NY and my friend was in Great Neck, a couple of towns over. The two men were from NY and one of them lived in Bayside. There were people from all over the states, but the single ones were from where we lived. That was SOME coincidence.
Of course, nothing is perfect. The man from Bayside was a Priest, and his nice looking friend was gay. I'm sure he didn't tell us, but we kind of figured it out.
 
At least I had someone to dance with at night on the ship.  The Priest was a pretty good dancer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment