Monday, January 18, 2016

Hey Baby it's Cold outside.... Would you like a lift to the subway?

I lived in Park Slope for quite a few years and at 3 different addresses.

The posting about the First Christmas Tree shows the only picture I have of that time. The apartment  was on a beautiful street that was just a half a block to the Park.

Look at the windows and doors.

If you look to the right side, you'll see the front door and side windows.  They were all glass. The inner and outer doors as well.  We needed to cover the windows, as we were a little below sidewalk level.  However,  I had a problem with the window treatments.  This was my first attempt at decorating with no budget,  and if you notice, the blue curtains are basically rectangular holes in fabric.  Good for letting the light in.  I didn't like them and I have no idea why they were still up. Now I'd have returned and exchanged them possibly four times.

I worked in Manhattan in the Garment Center, if you remember. You've seen a picture of me at work.  Getting to the train station meant  either going to the 9th street station which was a 9 block walk to the west, or the Grand Army Plaza Station which was further. I'm not sure, but the D train may also have had a stop with a long walk to the east.

There was a city bus that rode along ninth avenue. If I were lucky enough to catch it, and had change, I'd take it to the station. More often than not, it was better to walk, especially when it was freezing cold. Standing and waiting for the bus, which was invariably filled with teens, was no picnic.

I did this for the two years I lived in that house on third street.

One morning, I'm starting out of my walkway and a car stops. The guy rolled down the window and said he'd seen me walking to the station on plenty of occasions and asked if I wanted a lift.  It was bitterly cold and we were both bundled up.

It was 7 a.m. and he looked like a nice guy. Actually, Maybe around my age, 23,  25 and nice looking.  Not relishing the freezing cold, I took a chance and said yes.  He drove me to the station and dropped me off.
His name was Andy.

A couple of days later, he stopped again. We probably chit chatted about nothing, as Seinfeld would say.  I have to admit, I liked him.

This happened a few times. Then he met me on the way home. This time when he dropped me off  we sat and talked before I got out. He said he wanted to tell me something.  He had a dog and
he would walk the dog in the evenings and he could see me sitting on the sofa reading. He liked what he saw and  was determined to meet me.

I was quite flattered and happy since he lived in the apartment building on the corner at 8th avenue.  While we were talking, the car was heating up. Not from us, The heater was on, you people. Your minds always go there. Well, so was mine, until. . . . . ....

He took off his leather gloves and on his left hand was a gold wedding band.  I glanced down and almost choked. Duh, Andy, are you married? I queried?    He said yes.  Does that matter?

Does that matter?  Does that matter?  Duh, uh yeah.....

Also, I said, don't you think that your wife living down the block might be an impediment?  Nah.  He seemed quite unconcerned.

I said thanks, but no thanks. He was disappointed, but knew enough to let it go. Or let me go or whatever it was that had almost happened. I got out of the car and said goodbye. I felt sad and stupid.


I walked to the train  from then on. I saw him sometimes, driving by or walking the dog. I don't recall seeing the wife.

Theory. 

Don't take this personally. Men are Pigs. Or Dogs. Not all, but I have encountered more than my share.
*(AD)  Women are also sluts and whores. I'm not being sexist.

Also:

1.  Some people do not care about their marriage vows no matter how long ago or short ago it was since they made them.

2. Some men people nice enough not to lie. At least I could give Andy that. ( I wonder what would have happened if he hadn't taken off his gloves )

3. Why was it, that I was always attracted to the ones who weren't available.  Even when I didn't know it?

 4. You'll need to hear more of my life story to know the answer or at least the psychobabble theory as the blog continues onward.  In no particular order.

THE END  FOR TONIGHT









2 comments:

  1. Men are pigs and dogs
    Women are sluts and whores
    Perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somehow I think you missed the point.

    ReplyDelete