Sunday, December 20, 2015

THE SIMPLE JOY OF IRONING

  I can't tell you how full of joy I was when I finished my last post. I'm not sure why, but I felt free. And I had so much stuff to do in the house that I had neglected.
  I started  cleaning out the linen closet which set me off into throwing stuff out and then washing all the bedding.
  There is one pillow case I have in my happy, serene room. It's yellow and it must be made of Syrian rather than Egyptian cotton 'cause it's always wrinkled.
  Long story short. LMAO.  I almost forgot to wash it.  Anyway. I did.

                     Ancient History


    Between the ages of 7 and 12, my sister and I went away to summer sleep away camp. Just now, when I was ironing the pillow cases (plural) I remembered that it was at camp that I learned to iron. And, that when I was at camp, I used to love to iron.

    I have an image of myself standing near the laundry area, and ironing.  What on earth I had to iron, I don't know. I probably volunteered to iron the camp sheets for all I can remember.

    But, right now, doing the pillow cases I liked the feeling of having something change so easily and quickly right before my eyes. A miracle.

   So much of the work that I do and have done in my life had little immediate reward. Even getting paid was so impersonal and spaced out that I couldn't associate it with work. I think you know what I mean.

   I've rarely had to iron over the years. When I worked I had my clothes dry cleaned, and living in Florida is so informal that most of my clothes don't need ironing. *AD  If I take them out of the drier right away and hang them up. I'm laughing at myself right now.

    And so, I ironed my pillow cases and one sheet. Now, I have to put the iron away when it's cool, and put away the ironing board. And as an aside, I have no idea how to set the heat. Somehow it's by color and I don't have the instructions. I'm such a Suzy Home Maker.  I still didn't finish the things I wanted to do. It's only 2:30 but I'm exhausted. That wasn't the only closet I tackled. More than half the kitchen cabinets are now free of useless items.

   The best part is I don't care.  I know. Who is this woman? Tomorrow is another day. And, my new Kindle that was supposed to arrive on Tuesday came just a few minutes ago. I wouldn't have known to check the mail box on Sunday, if my phone didn't do that waterfall music when I get a message. I'm so lucky I took that selfie or I wouldn't have heard the phone. Isn't life great when everything works out?  Or when you decide to believe that it does.






No comments:

Post a Comment